JOIN OUR TEAM
Short-term Consultant: Localisation of Medical Manufacturing in Africa
The IEJ is advertising a post for a Short-term Consultant.
The Consultant will produce a written research report (of between 30-40 pages, excluding appendices and reference lists) that does the following:
- Assesses the current landscape of medical product access, use, and manufacturing in Africa;
- Identifies structural barriers and opportunities for local manufacturing;
- Develops a framework for assessing the normative elements of the project (that localisation is developmental, ensures equitable access and challenges entrenched global North dominance); and
- Provides policy proposals that promote development, economic recovery, and equitable access (understood broadly) in line with the above. The proposals should pertain to both sectoral and macroeconomic strategies.
Qualifications / experience required:
- At least a Masters degree in economics, development, public health, sociology or related field, PhD preferred.
- At least five years experience in a research-based job.
- Experience conducting interviews.
- Industrial policy experience preferred.
- Demonstrable knowledge on industrial policy issues in Africa necessary, knowledge on the pharmaceutical industry preferred.
Interested applicants should send the following by 9 May 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A copy of your CV no longer than 4 pages.
- A short cover letter outlining your interest in the project.
- A proposal for the project including a budget that outlines proposed days and costs.
For more information on how to apply, please download the call for applications below.
Project Officer: CSO Engagement
The objective of this role is to enhance capacity and collaboration amongst South African Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) for effectively participating in climate change governance for enhancing climate policy ambition, action and accountability and ensuring that South Africa’s contribution is consistent with the requirements of the Paris Agreement. The position will take on the specific role of the Secretariat and Activities Coordinator in a European Commission funded project and will report directly to Senior Policy Analyst, Climate and Plastics.
The Project Officer is expected to fulfil the following responsibilities:
- Provide strategic and tactical leadership in capacitating and coordinating South African CSOs (including labour), as key actors in climate change governance
- Facilitate the creation and functioning of innovative multi-stakeholder partnerships
- Coordinating with CSOs and existing networks, particularly with the South African Climate Action Network (SACAN)
- Capacitating the next generation of climate activists and climate policy advocates by supporting the functioning of Youth Climate Champions (YCC) Programme for facilitating strong youth engagement in climate policy processes
- Building strategic alliances with CSOs, youth and gender-based organisations
- Responsible for organising project activities.
- Post-graduate level qualification in Environmental Science, Environmental Politics, Development Studies, African Studies or equivalent. Graduate level qualification in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the post-graduate qualification
- 5 – 7 years of professional work experience in climate advocacy or climate activism, with at least 4 years of experience working with CSOs
- Knowledge of institutional landscape, domestic politics, and climate policy in South Africa
- Prior experience of civil society and labour engagement
- Familiarity with international climate policy landscape
- Ability to build, nurture, and maintain strategic relationships with a number of organisations
- Prior experience of setting up organisational systems would be an advantage
- Articulate and a confident communicator in English (Verbal and written), fluency in any other South African language would be considered an advantage
- Ability to efficiently and effectively manage budgets would be considered an advantage
To apply fill out the application form (link below), and provide a detailed CV and cover letter (attach under “Documents”) fully motivating the relevant skills, experience and creativity that you can bring, together with the names, current e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of three relevant references.
Applications close on 9 May 2021. Applications sent via email will not guarantee consideration.
Rethinking Economics: Organiser – Economists for Future
Our partner organisation Rethinking Economics is looking for an Organiser for Economists for Future. Economists for Future is an international initiative aiming to mobilise economists, and the influence they have, to help arrest the planetary emergency. We do this through targeted research and advocacy.
This is a senior position. The Organiser is expected to support and help develop Economists for Future International team and campaigns.
- Work with E4F team to develop stimulating and effective projects and programs
- Support organisers within the team to develop skills and take on leadership roles
- Develop an eye for the longer-term development and strategic questions of the initiative
- Drive forward day-to-day work of the initiative
To apply, please fill in the application form (link below) by 14:00 SAST on 23 May 2021.
If you have any queries or would like to have an informal discussion about the role, please do not hesitate to contact us via email@example.com.
Please note that we cannot accept any applicants not based in the UK, Germany or South Africa.